Monday, October 27, 2008

Crossing Guards

Thank you, Brittany, for reminding me...

Every morning, Caleb and I go on some kind of walk. This is for exercise for me, but also so I can take Caleb some place a little more interesting than the 3x5 foot "patio" that also houses my bike and our BBQ. We'll have a backyard someday, but in the meantime, we go to parks. Anyway, in order to get around to our various locales, on some days we meet up to 4 school crossing guards. Two of these three I find particularly adorable. My favorite is the old man who packs in his own camping chair to hang out in while he's not helping youngsters safely cross. He has some kind of southern drawl accent and asks me, "Do you need help getting across, ma'am?" from said camping chair that is sitting in the shade probably a good 30 feet from the corner. I don't even mind so much the two in the middle who seem like they're not always sure what to say when I wish them a good morning. I don't blame them for this...they're used to kids who aren't always very polite. It's the last---and the closest to where we live that unreasonably gets under my skin. She also has a lawn chair, but is sprightly and hops up out of it while I'm still 20 feet from the curb. Now, let's also recall that I haven't been in elementary school in what? 13 years? I'm a full grown-up person with a kid of her own, yet somehow, this aged woman is supposed to have better reflexes in a car vs. pedestrian situation? Does she really believe that my garguantan red stroller is a little too subtle for your average mom driving kids to school and she must compensate with her neon yellow vest and hat? Is she afraid I'll forget to look both ways? Now, I know what you're thinking, "she's just doing her job. She's just trying to make sure everyone is safe". Well, the old timer in the other camping chair I completely adore. He's looking out for me, but doesn't expect that I am incapable of safely crossing the street. Is it wrong of me to be annoyed? I feel like a five-year-old. Maybe she feels like she shouldn't be getting paid without putting in her best effort. Maybe she's just trying to put in an honest day's work. So, my completely adult solution? I take the side roads and avoid the intersection altogether. :)

3 comments:

melimba said...

yes, you are a 5 year old.
duh!
:) just kidding.

you kill me. nice story. way to be an adult!

Carlson Clan said...

Hey Becca,
So you can tell Jonathan that he was semi-right...my toe was partially dislocated, not fully disclocated so the doctor splinted my toe and then gave me a beautiful shoe to wear so I don't have to put all the pressure on my heel! I can already tell the difference! Thanks for your help! Oh and I have Caleb's bowl from last Saturday! I'll drop it by the week sometime!

Dana said...

Becca, you make me laugh. And yes, compared to her aged old self you probably do seem like a 5 yr old. I loved a crossing guard once. He was always sitting at the corner when I dropped Adam off at Chiropractic school. One day a car hit him, but he didn't die. That was random.