Wednesday, February 11, 2009

My Funny Little Buddy

Caleb is getting more and more hilarious all the time! I do not know where he comes up with these things, but he is a sponge right now! All of a sudden, he knows several shapes, numbers and letters and will frequently point them out. He likes to count the number of items he has. How many sticks? "One...two!" He likes to collect sticks and pine cones on our trips to the park. I just love how big and fun he is getting. Some moms are Baby Moms. They love the baby phase of sleeping all the time, cuddling, dressing them up in their teeny things. Maybe it's because Caleb never slept or liked cuddling. Maybe it's because Caleb's teeny tiny baby-dom was sort of trumped by Jonathan being in the hospital and then post-hospital recovery. But, I'm pretty sure I like Caleb more and more as he gets older. He understands so much. He can communicate fairly effectively and he can be so sweet, helpful and affectionate. He gives the best hugs, the sloppiest zerberts (on your cheeks...or anywhere else he can find skin---your hands, arms, wherever), and he is super helpful. He puts things away, throws things in the trash, gets me a diaper when we need a clean one, helps me unload the dishwasher and generally just loves helping out. And though he CERTAINLY has a mind and certain habits of his own that we don't always love, he is really a pretty obedient child. I can ask him to come back toward me when he's getting too close to the road and he comes back. He folds his arms for prayer (for the most part), sits down and behaves. He still shrieks and isn't perfect. All I'm saying is that I'm grateful for my boy and how much more fun he is getting to be as he gets older and bigger. Babies just cry all the time! For no reason! They don't have any cool tricks. They can't give "high fives" or "rocks". They don't give hugs or kisses. They don't splash around all silly in the tub and have inside jokes with their daddies. The long and the short of it is: toddlers rule and babies drool. Am I alone in this? Does anyone else out there like toddlers more than babies??

10 comments:

The Spanns said...

I can't really say what stage I like better since I'm not there yet... but I can definitely see the perks of toddlerhood! I am so glad you guys are having fun! Each day is an adventure as a mom :)

Carlson Clan said...

He is such a fun kid!! Toddlers definitely bring new surprises every day! I did a good elephant noise the other day and Ellie said "Yay! you did it!" I was laughing so hard! I don't know where she got it!

Mason & Laura said...

So fun in so many ways--but I have to disagree that it's "better" than babies. I don't hold one higher than the other, but I am definitely a baby lover :) But seriously, isn't it wonderful (and hilarious) to finally get a glimpse of what is going on inside their minds? It's usually way different than I ever expect!! Caleb is adoralbe!!!!!

AubreyB said...

I totally agree. I love that I actually know what Cohen wants now that he can talk to me. Sometimes I try to convince Matt that we should adopt a 1 year old next time instead of having a baby, just so I don't have to deal w/ that pain/no sleep/recovery thing again. :)

Todd and Heidi said...

I love the toddler age! When they learn so much and are so fun to be with. I totally remember collecting sticks and pine cones on our trips to the park. I miss Vegas at this time of year.....all we collect is SNOW!!!!

Keshia Phill said...

He is getting SO BIG! I can't believe he is going to be 2 soon! AHHHH. They really do grow up so quickly it seems. I bet he is so smart like his mommy and daddy. He sure is handsome!

Jared and Christine said...

Jared totally agrees with you. He comes home and wants to play with Will and all will does is look at him. It will be so fun when he really starts to interact with us. How are you guys doing??

Becca Welch said...

Hey Guys,
long time no see! we are totally up for a cruise when Jon graduates. That would be so fun... anyways, keep us posted.
Love-Becca

Carlson Clan said...

Hey Becca! Don't worry about it! Ellie is totally coughing too! Man, what is going around? I have a proposition for you...we are going to Chico on the 19th and I was thinking that if you could drop us off at the airport you could use our van for the week that we're gone! I know you have all those kids you're watching and maybe that would help you...We were just going to park it at the airport but if you want to use it you totally could!

melimba said...

hA! I'm not there yet, but I agree, the older they get the better they get! And, the more attached i get!!

I'm loving catching up on your posts! I've been away for far too long! :)