Thursday, July 15, 2010

The DOCTOR is in

Shortly after my last post, we went on our merry way to Las Vegas, NV so that the hubs could graduate. I was 8.5 months pregnant and we were all hopeful that Mr. James would not arrive in Sin City. Caleb and I spent much of the first week in my in-laws house while Jonathan prepared his presentation of research--his culminating project required for graduation. Later, I went to St. George to visit Adam and his family in their new beautiful house there. THEN, thank you very much Steve and Jen, we stayed with some friends in Henderson for the last week of the trip--me sitting and doing very little trying to avoid going into labor.

On May 7th, Jonathan presented research and did a magnificent job. Following the research presentation, there was a smaller, more intimate graduation of sorts for all of the program's graduates where professors issued "Cords and Awards." The cords were decorative to be worn at graduation and then the department had a few awards to be given out to exceptional students. There were 23 students in J's graduating program and only maybe a half dozen awards, so we were trying not to be too expectant of anything. Jonathan won two. TWO! He received, with his 2 other group mates (bless them, but in comparison, they did VERY little), the "Best Research Award." This was definitely appreciated, given how much Jonathan did for this project. Then, there was sort of a "Favorite Student" award. It was the "faculty recognition award" and it went to the student the faculty wanted to recognize for their overall success in the program. Jonathan also received this award. I had tears in my eyes as he accepted it. He has worked so hard, and it's nice to see that others have noticed.

The next day, Jonathan walked at the graduation ceremony and was hooded a doctor. Very exciting. He said it actually caught him off guard what a cool thing it was to be hooded by his department chair.

I am so proud of Jonathan. He has worked incredibly hard since I have known him, to make this accomplishment. He has woken up often before 5am to study so that he could spend time with me and Caleb after classes. He has sacrificed material things so we didn't go into excessive debt. He has given up study time on Sundays so that he could dedicate the day to the Lord and to his family. He has been a model student and tremendous husband and father. I could not be prouder of his accomplishments and that I am his wife. He is amazing.

He took his licensure exam and passed with FLYING colors. What a blessing it is to see such hard work pay off and to see so many blessings come from his diligent work and service for our family.

I love you, Jonathan!






P.S. In comments--if anyone could PLEASE explain to me how to add a picture that shows up as a picture that I can move around and know what it is rather than trying to figure out the html--PLEASE HELP! Thanks!

1 comment:

The Allen Family said...

Congrats, J!!! :)

Bec - When you do a blog post, click the "Compose" tab instead of the "Edit HTML" tab. :)