Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Caleb Bug

Caleb is smart as a whip.  This kid NEVER ceases to amaze me with the insights he comes up with, his intuitive understanding of things and his MEMORY.  Good heavens, his memory.  Now, I’m his mom, I appreciate this, but the kid is bright.  I try to explain things to him in a pure and real way, but also accepting the fact he is three.  I try to explain things in ways he’ll understand.  Last week in our Scripture study, we were reading in 1 Nephi of the Book of Mormon where it discusses how Christ will take away our sins.  I was explaining this to Caleb.  “So Caleb, when we do naughty, unrighteous things, when we make big mistakes, Jesus can take those away and help us feel better.  You know how we feel bad when we make big mistakes?  He helps us not feel bad anymore.” 

At this point, Caleb has a pouty look on his face and says, “Sometimes I make big mistakes, Mommy.  Like when I go pee in my underpants.  That’s a big mistake.”

My heart is already breaking at this point when I say, “Well, Caleb, we all make big mistakes sometimes.  I make mistakes all the time and I have to ask the Lord to forgive me.”

Caleb: “Do you go pee in your underpants too?” Smile

What a reminder that we are to be as little children.  It would sure be more obvious to the world what my BIG MISTAKES were if they showed up on my pants.  Here he is, his “biggest mistakes” wetting his pants while I am proud, judgmental, pessimistic, unforgiving, slothful and hypocritical (not all at once and not all the time, mind, but still—all weaknesses I struggle with).  While being a mother to Caleb is still tough, he is a bright spot in my life.

DSC01419DSC01370

1 comment:

Abby said...

I love this story. The little lessons and reminders we get from our kids are awesome. Caleb, you're too cool!