Sunday, May 11, 2008

Feeling sentimental

This post is serving many purposes. I wrote this letter to Caleb on his birthday just as Jonathan's mom did for him growing up. Since I figured only about 5 of you actually read my blog (bless your hearts), I thought you might indulge me in keeping an extra record of this letter in case it is somehow lost or destroyed. I also decided this post was appropriate on Mother's Day since Caleb is my only little boy and this letter represents what my life as "Mother" is. And finally, Heidi tagged Caleb ages ago, so here it goes.


Dear Caleb,

Wow. My little boy is one whole entire year old today. I have had mixed feelings about this day. I am so proud of you, Caleb. I'm proud of your accomplishments. You have been walking for a month now. You have five teeth and one more coming in. You are sleeping through the night and learning how to be affectionate and give hugs. You love to play, climb and explore. You love the dishwasher, the refrigerator and cupboards. You're learning how to pull things off counters and tables. You give "high fives" and wave at your own reflection in the mirror. You love your new big boy car seat that lets you face forward. You love cell phones, remote controls and anything "grown up." You are good at sharing anything that you have and that will be such a good quality when you are a big brother. You LOVE when friends come over to play or when you get to go over to visit friends. Even if you're tired and worn out, if you are with visitors you are still in a good mood. You LOVE music. You will stop and listen to music almost no matter what you are doing. I like to sing primary songs and hymns before you go to sleep. You love to get down and play and explore whenever we go someplace new whether it is at a store or just outside. You love a good joke and seem to know that you are being funny sometimes. You have been a Mama's boy this last year, but you are already showing signs of being more of a Daddy's little man in the future. Everyone who meets you just loves you. You have a smile that brightens your whole face and everyone else's mood. You make friends out of strangers everywhere you go.

Caleb, your father and I love you so much. Today has been a day of mixed emotions because we are so proud of you and so look forward to the little boy you are going to be. At the same time, each day you become more and more a boy-- and not a baby. We miss our Baby Caleb and are sad to see our time with him is limited. We look forward to seeing all you will become as you grow into the boy and man you are meant to be.

All our love is with you. You are a special son of God and He loves you too. Remember that He has saved you and protected you for a special purpose.

Happy Birthday, my son.



Love,

Mom



4 comments:

The Allen Family said...

That's such a great idea! (Thanks a lot for making me blink real hard at work to hold the tears.) :) Love ya!

Susan Aylworth said...

What a sweet letter, Mama Becca, and what a lovely party. (I really like the cake, and the Big Bird cupcakes.) We only wish we could have shared it with you. Love to Caleb, Jonathan and Becca -- all.
- Gramma Susan/Mom

The Allen Family said...

Sheesh! That was a great letter. You guys are such great examples to me. I sure miss you three. I am still shocked that Caleb is a year old!

Bryan

Andy and Rachael said...

You are amazing Becca!! My parents wrote birthday letters too, so it's something I look forward to doing also!! (I am going to call you one of these days, I promise!!)